Lesser Known Facts about Angaraag Papon Mahanta
Well, I know, that I don’t need to introduce Papon or Angaraag Mahanta to the people of Assam. In fact, he is famous nationally and internationally. His songs always mesmerize the listeners. The uniqueness of his voice is easily recognizable from the crowd of music. As a fan or listener to Papon, how much do you know about his life and career? Here are few facts about him –
1. Papon born on 24 November 1975 in Nagaon, Assam to his parents Khagen Mahanta and Archana Mahanta.
2. Jonaki Raati (2004) was his first Assamese solo album which is still favorite to many of us and The Story So Far (2012) was the first Hindi solo album by Papon and for which he also won the GIMA award in the same year.
3. He sings in many genres such as electronic fusion, Indian/Assamese classical, Assamese folk, acoustic folk, jazz and ghazals.
4. Papon won more than 10 awards which include IIFA Awards, Times of India Film Awards, Mirchi Music Awards and many more. He has also nominated for Zee Cine Awards and Filmfare Awards in the category of Best Playback Singer – Male for the song Moh Moh Ke Dhage from the movie Dum Laga Ke Haisha.
5. He has sung in many Indian regional languages such as Bengali, Tamil, Kannada, Marathi. Papon’s latest Bengali song (2017) is Jete Hawbe from the movie Yeti Obhijaan starring Prosenjit.
6. Papon featured in some widely famous musical television shows on national TV channel. The Dewarists, Coke Studio, MTV Unplugged are among them.
7. He is the only singer who has been a part of all the 3 seasons of MTV Coke Studio.
8. His biggest hit in the Bollywood was Jiyein Kyun from the movie Dum Maro Dum and since then he never looked back.
9. Apart from singing, Papon also knows to play khol, tabla, guitar, and harmonium from his childhood.
10. Papon married to Shweta Mishra Mahanta and now has two children, son Puhor Mahanta and daughter Parijaat Mahanta.
Do you know some more facts about Papon? Let us know by commenting below, we’ll add them to the list.